Don’t get me wrong, I love my house. I love the village I live in. I don’t want to be a nomad wandering this earth without a base. But I will have adventure in my life. Whether it’s a trek for charity, which I’m looking in to right now. Or living in another country for a few months. Or learning a new sport… last year it was kayaking. These are the things that make life exciting.
I’ll always remember reading about Roger Federer talking about how he has a successful marriage and career. He takes his family with him. They all travel all over the world. How awesome is that? That’s the best of both worlds if you ask me.
I think people either need adventure and go for it. Or they’re not fussed and use excuses like time, money, jobs etc to stop them from having adventures. I personally think that’s a bit boring! I will not get to the end of my life and think ‘I wish I’d done that.’ I want my life to be filled with as much adventure as it can be.
So how can you fill your life with adventure? Start by writing a list of the top five things you’d love to do. Mine are: Trekking in Peru, scuba diving in places like Bora Bora, Climbing a mountain maybe somewhere like New Zealand, kayaking in Scotland, and I’ll leave one open for something I haven’t decided on next… probably spending a month exploring South Africa.
Next place these things in order of priority… be realistic for the first thing you can do. Now start saving and start planning. I’d highly recommend looking at Charity trips. Not only can you raise some money for a good cause, but your trip will be arranged for you. You just need to raise the money, do the training and show up. You can also do an adventure trip by paying for a package style trip. There are loads of companies that do them.
So this is all well and good. Some huge things to look forward to. But how can you fill your life with more adventure right now? Here’s a list of things that are quick, easy and relatively cheap to do:
- Buy a new pair of walking boots and explore our national parks
- Rent a paddleboard and explore our coastline
- Walk some of the South West coastal path
- Hire a kayak and explore the Lake District
- Join a local walking group
- Spend an afternoon at a clip and climb or buy a half-day climbing experience with a local company
- Go quad biking, mountain biking or grab your bike and go cycling. Check out Sustrans
- Go wild camping
- Go wild swimming
- Walk up a really big hill
- Go into the woods and build a den
- Dive with sharks in one of our UK aquariums
- Buy an animal experience at one of our Zoos
- Walk out of your front door and go somewhere new!
Adventure can be found everywhere you look. Go get it!